Influences and Research

When I was doing some research into HipHop magazines, I didn't come across any magazines that looked as if they were aimed at the female audience, this gives me the impression that the publications assume that few women/girls listen to HipHop genred music or would read magazines of the HipHop genre. And also gave me the idea and influence to create a magazine aimed at a similar audience to myself, teenage girls aged between 17-19 because I think that it is missing in the magazine music market!! This 'Vibe' edition featuring Nicki Minaj caught my eye and influenced my music magazine especially because of the bright colour used. To make the colour more prominent and focused the editors have used basic colours like black, grey and white - I also used these colours along side my one dominant colour (hot pink).

This is the cover of Nicki Minaj's latest album. It has quite an influence on my work especially because of the girly colour used. Pink is easy on the eye and attractive especially to the female gender. This is a main reason I chose pink to play a big part within my whole music magazine and be one of the house colours as I wanted my target audience to be females.





These photographs of Rihanna and Nicki Minaj, who are HipHop/R'n'B artists, are inspirations for the photograph on my front cover. Also the clothes/costumes I decided to wear in the photo's on my double page spread and also contents page are influenced by the clothes in which specifcally these artists wear, but also just girls in general that enjoy listening to this type of music. All of these images include the colour pink, either on their lips or in their hair, this suggests that it is a prominent and popular colour within the female lifestyle, and also attractive to their eye in particular which is why I have decided to use hot pink as one of my house colours.


Even though this magazine is aimed at the opposite gendered target audience to mine, the style of the magazine is similar to what I wanted to create in my magazine. This is because I used the same layering technique that this magazine has used by placing the main image on top of the masthead, this shows importance and authority of artist.
This magazine also influenced me because I liked the layout of the captions for the smaller articles within the magazine, so I used this layout in a similar way.