School flat plan and ideas


Before making and producing your magazine it has to be designed, so i gathered the information that i wanted my magazine to include and put together an idea of what i wanted my magazine to look like, it is shown on the right. But i discovered some things that i decided i wanted to change about my magazine after roughly designing it on paper using pens and pencils. I decided that i would keep the name, slogan, interview idea, prize and theme of stars throughout the front cover the same and bring them aspects through to my final school magazine. However there was a few things that i wasn't happy with and therefore i will change them, the picture on the front of my magazine i discovered would be more appealing to be of a person or two.
I think that by including a barcode, price and issue date/month makes the magazine look professional therefore people would find it eye catching and have more intention to by it. I decided that the magazine should have a low price of £0.60 because if it was more expensive then students or parents would not be able to afford it, or would not bother reading it because they wouldn't think it was worth the price.


For my main photo on my front cover I had to do some of practice shots to see what sort of photo I wanted to use and what kind of background I wanted the photograph to have. After taking some shots I found out that it would be best to have a photograph with a very plain background so that my neutral colour text, captions and colour scheme would stand out and so that the audience would be attracted to the picture and also the captions and not just the photograph. Here are a few of the practice shots.




The first image is of myself standing on the steps, I tried this out because I wanted to see what the background would look like but I figured out that I wouldn't be able to see my captions with the dark surroundings. The two other pictures on the right side (top and bottom) I disregraded because I thought that the top one's lighting was poor and camera angle was more like school picture positioning. The bottom right photograph I decided against because the boy model's facial expression was boring and not appropiate for my school magazine and would not invite people to read the magazine.
Therefore I chose to use the bottom left-hand image as I think that the angle of the camera and lighting was perfect, the model's facial expressions were inviting. Overall I was very happy with this photograph being on my front cover.
I slightly edited the final chosen photograph on fireworks to completely delete the background so it was a plain white. Then I edited it on an online website http://www.picnik.com/, I used this website because I find it really easy to edit and alter the image slighlty. I used the effect called cinemascope to make the main image look more interesting and appealing.